The purpose of this document is to outline how to create a custom report type and pull in fields from a related lookup. This is a very valuable feature that enables access to data from parent objects in the report builder without creating formula fields or including the objects in the report type object structure.
Create Custom Report Type
- From setup, in the quick find search for “Report Types” and click the Report Types link
2. Click “New Custom Report Type”
3. Enter the required fields that will determine what objects can be reported on using the custom report type.
3.1. Primary Object
3.1.1. Parent most object to be reported on.
3.2. Report Type Label
3.2.1. Include “Deluxe” in the label and name to easily identify custom report types
3.3. Report Type Name
3.5. Primary Category
3.6. Select “Deployed” to be available for use
3.7. Click “Next”
4. Select object hierarchies to report on.
4.1. Only select the minimum object to report
4.2. Parent information can be pulled into the report
5. Click “Save”
Add Sections Report Type Layout
- From the Custom Report Type, Click “Edit Layout”
2. Add a new section by clicking “Add New Section”
2.1. This will add a new Section to the report Layout, and this will appear as a new folder of fields in the Report Builder
3. Enter the Section Name
3.1. This will create a new Section to drag fields into
4. Click “OK”
Add Fields Via Related Lookup
- From the Report Type Layout Editor, select the object with the reference/lookup field to pull.
- In this example the Requisition Item “Unit Price” will be pulled from the Requisition Item lookup on the Return Item
2. Click “Add fields via Related Lookup”
3. Select reference field to pull in fields from popup modal
4. Click the checkbox of fields to add to Report Type, and click “Ok”
5. Drag add fields indicated by magnifying glass icon to correct section
6. Click “Save”